Do you plan to take a long drive after months of being cooped up at home? It is important to make sure your vehicle is ready for the trip before driving off. Check all essential systems, especially the steering wheel and suspension, before going on a trip. Many experts recommend getting a full car service before a long drive.
When Should You Get Your Steering Wheel Inspected?
Regular inspection and maintenance can help you avoid serious problems on a long trip. Experts recommend checking every 50,000 miles of driving and during an annual maintenance run. Our Services include a comprehensive steering wheel check as a part of a regular yearly check-up. You should also check when:
The tires are replaced
- Oils and filters have been changed
- After brake service
- After an accident, especially one involving the front of a car
- Car nose dives, rolls, or squats
- There’s a bumpy steer
- Loose or hard steering
- Jerking or vibrating wheel
- Strange noises
- Car pulls sideways
If you notice any of these issues, contact a professional for steering wheel check-up. It doesn’t hurt to get it done even if there are no symptoms, especially if you’re taking the car out for a long trip after many months of little use.
What are the Risks?
Driving without inspection and maintenance is always risky, but it can be particularly dangerous if you’re on mountain roads or rough surfaces. Here’s a look at some of the biggest risks of driving like this:
- Cornering is dangerous if all four wheels aren’t properly aligned. If the steering system isn’t directing them properly and the angle of a few wheels is off, your vehicle may go off the road.
- A car’s system will have excessive wear if you have a bad steering column. Excessive steering will result in overheating, friction, and heat generation. This will cause your car to break down in the middle of the road.
- If the steering system is malfunctioning, you’re more likely to lose control of the vehicle in adverse conditions. For example, you need proper steering while driving on a road that’s wet after some rainfall.
You can contact us if you want a full car service before going on a trip. An expert technician will conduct a thorough inspection, checking your steering wheel in particular, before letting you know whether the vehicle is ready for a trip.